"Because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with someone, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."
As most of you know, Jason and I are engaged as of a little over a week ago. The magical moment occurred when I went home for fall break and we went to our favorite park up by UTEP, the one with all the swings.
He gave this miniature speech about how I make him want to be a better person and I give him the motivation to do more with his life.
He promised to do whatever it takes to make me happy no matter what and to always think of the ring on my finger if he gets mad over something stupid..
He told me that he wanted to marry me because he wants to be able to experience everything in life with me by his side and how he really felt like God put us in each other's lives when he did for a reason.
I started to cry and nodded when he finally popped the question.
Jason is my best friend. He knows my weaknesses, my likes and dislikes, what's important to me, and my deepest thoughts on life. We have the tendency to read each other's minds and understand each other really well. We talk constantly and speaking our minds is never an issue. We agree on pretty much everything, and the things we don't agree on--well we actually enjoy our occasional arguments. Yes, marriage is a serious decision and a big commitment. But I feel ready to take on the challenge. I've been away from home, going to school for awhile now, and I'm ready to work, earn my own money and stop being dependent of my parents. And who better to do that with than my best friend, someone whom I love, who loves me and I know would take complete care of me? Because of how we handle certain predicaments together and the way talk about everything, I feel I would be settling to marry anyone else. No one is perfect, but to me he's perfect for me.
So I know most of you are freaking out, and are worried beyond words, thinking about the possibilities of the worst to come, based on your own experiences. Honestly, I don't blame you. I know how lucky I am to have so many people who love me enough to give me advice in times of need. I appreciate it, really. Even though I tend to get really defensive at times and snap back at you, forgetting your intentions.
The way I handled telling people was slightly inconsiderate and immature I suppose. But you have to understand that before anything had even happened, everyone was calling me telling me they were so sick to their stomachs because they knew something was up. So when it happened, I felt uncomfortable and scared to say anything because I already knew what you were thinking. But I apologize for the worry and the stress.
It may seem like it's all happening really fast, but to be engaged is the preparation period before marriage. And really we've got a good 8 months or so. I've known Jason since I started high school, and yes a person can change a lot over 6 years. But he's always remained to be the genuine, honest, caring and positive Jason that I met freshmen year. He's been through a lot of heartache in his life, but he's come out of it with the attitude that "whatever doesn't kill you, makes you stronger," and has learned things that have helped him to become the person that he is today.
You may think that Jason not being a member of the church is our downfall. But I wouldn't have him any other way. We want the same things and both have a lot of faith in each other and our relationship. We are both loyal, dedicated people who tend to think a little deeper about things. He may not agree with the concept of religion in general for himself, but he is spiritual and completely supportive of my beliefs. And not just in the 'do-what-you-want' kind of way. He's promised to go to church with me whenever I want and he's willing to read scriptures with me. That's how open and how close of a friendship we have.
He has complete respect for not only me, but for all women. He's not afraid to admit it when he's wrong. He gets genuinely excited with me and encourages me to do my best in all things. Both of us are willing to do whatever it takes to lift each other up and I trust him completely.
Not to mention I've had years of relationship counsel from my very wise mother, who has been through everything with me.
I am young and inexperienced when it comes to being married. But I've been through quite a lot the last few years and have learn a great deal about myself and what I want in my life. And Jason fits perfectly in that category.
Ummmm, GORGEOUS RING!
ReplyDeleteHahaha thank you!! I agree :)
ReplyDeleteSoon you will be home and we can drive around listening to relient K and drinking diet coke, just like old times ( except better because we can talk about how nice Jason is to you ) I love you and I'm so proud of you! We are all lonely for you and anxious for Thanksgiving and Christmas!! I like seeing the pretty Utah pictures and seeing your beautiful smile... keep working hard and remember how much I love you...love Mom
ReplyDeleteI have to tell you, that is almost verbatim how I feel and would describe my relationship with Andrew. Congratulations. It sure is a wonderful feeling. You get in the groove of life and it feels boring, old and unimportant, then you look at the person laying next to you and... all those feelings of just meeting and falling in love at a park come rushing back. If you thought you knew what pure happiness was before, you just realized you really didn't. Pure happiness is being with him. Love the ring BTW.
ReplyDeleteEXACTLY!!!! :D So happy we both found our true loves to be our best friends as well. And thank you! I love it too :)
ReplyDelete